In 1866 the Flint
Ridge Baptist Church was organized. It was during the era of slavery that a few
of God’s servants got together with Rev. Berry Austin to organize a church.
Services were first held under an old Bush Arbor. The old Bush Arbor was a place
of worship where members would come together to pray, clap, shout, and sing
songs of freedom and praise. Later a log cabin was erected but due to rapid
growth, members returned to the old Bush Arbor until a building with a stronger
foundation was built.
In the 1890’s nearing the turn of the century, a more
appealing building was needed. Under the leadership of Reverend G.B. Austin, a
new building was constructed. After the passing of Reverend Austin, the
membership of Flint Ridge moved ahead under such Pastors as Reverend Grisson,
Reverend W.B. Bell, Reverend W.W. Thomas, Reverend Gare, Reverend A.S. Austin,
Reverend E.A. Hargrove, Reverend K.J. Johnson, Reverend H.M. Alexander, Reverend
A.G. Henley, and Reverend W.M. Covington.
In 1941, the Highway Department purchased the church land
to build what is known today as GA Highway 85. The members accepted the offer of
Deacon Cicero Butler to purchase land across the street from the current
location. A structure was erected for worship, but over a period of time it
began to lean. In 1955 under the leadership of Reverend Howard Bussey, the
present sanctuary was erected.
In 1969, Reverend Hopie Strickland accepted the call to
Pastor Flint Ridge followed by Reverend Robert Redding, Reverend Jerome Dukes,
Reverend Benjamin Clark, Reverend DL Dennis, Reverend Jerome Drakeford, and
Reverend Kenneth Robinson. Under their leadership and guidance, ministries were
started, equipment purchased, and much needed renovations were preformed along
with changes to improve the physical structure of the building.
On February 1, 2012, Reverend Eric M. Gurley was called to
serve as Interim Pastor of Flint Ridge Baptist Church. On July 28, 2012 Reverend
Gurley accepted the call to serve as the Pastor of Flint Ridge Baptist Church
and was officially installed into the Pastoralship on August 12, 2012.
Grateful for our past and the rich heritage of those who
came before us, we must continue to move forward toward the future under the
leadership and guidance of Pastor Gurley - Glorifying God Together with the aid
of the Holy Spirit.